Visit "Granby Then and Now" created by Mr. Brown's Third Grade Class from a Windows on History grant from the Teaching American History program through the Hampshire Educational Collaborative.
Granby Town History
The Town of Granby is a rural suburban town on the outskirts of the Holyoke metropolitan area. Settled around 1727, the town is dominated in the north by the Holyoke range of hills and has a rugged terrain which hampered agricultural development as the limited water resources hampered industrial development. However, despite these obstacles, settlers developed farms and some limited industries which made up the town's economic foundation. They grew grains, turnips, pumpkins and hops, and small distilleries were open by 1812 using the surplus grain produced. Dairy farming, making buttons and palm leaf hats followed these in economic importance in the 19th century. However, by 1875, local industry was gone and agriculture, primarily dairy farming, was the staple in Granby. The town still retains the huge, well-known milk bottle which houses a dairy bar. Granby retains its original meeting house green and the period character that this section of town gives it as well as a fine neoclassical library and a good stock of Greek revival houses.
Granby Massachusetts Town History Information from Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development.
Granby is surrounded by five colleges - Mount Holyoke, Amherst, Smith, Hampshire Colleges and
the University of Massachusetts and has a diverse selection of cultural and historical experiences.
Granby is about 15 miles northeast of Springfield, 45 miles west of Worcester,
about 85 miles west of Boston, and 150 miles from New York City.
Front row (l to r): William W. Gallup, Dwight Tucker, Eugene Bissell, Eugene Rimbold, Police Chief George Randall
Second row (l to r): Myron Ingham, Adelard Fournier, Joe Lajoie, Edmund Robert
Third row (l to r): Ed Martin, Wilfred Loiselle, Robert Noble, John Baker